RCMP reports from Lloydminster, Wainwright, Vermilion, St. Paul, Bonnyville and Cold Lake detachments show 11 pedestrians were involved in vehicular collisions with one fatality in 2021.
The fatality was reported in the St. Paul detachment. Overall there were four serious injuries which required the victims to be taken to hospital and six people with minor injuries were treated at the scene.
In Lloydminster, there was one serious injury recorded by the detachment in which the pedestrian was taken to hospital and three pedestrians with minor injuries were treated on scene for last year.
The numbers have been pulled out from Alberta RCMP reports which show that last year, there were 224 pedestrian-involved collisions in Alberta RCMP jurisdictions, 23 of which resulted in fatalities, 49 in major injuries, and 145 with minor injuries. Reports of pedestrian collisions occur more often during warmer weather between March and October.
The Alberta RCMP is promoting pedestrian safety in October and are making the following recommendations:
- Pedestrians should wear bright reflective clothing.
- Pedestrians should always use the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk available, walk off the road against the direction of traffic (Government of Alberta, 2021).
- If you are crossing a roadway outside of a crosswalk, you must yield to vehicles.
- Signal your intent to enter a crosswalk by extending an arm and pointing in the direction you would like to proceed. Make eye contact with drivers to ensure they see you.
- Do not cross a street in the middle of a block or between parked cars. If there are no crossing lights, wait until all vehicles have come to a complete stop before crossing (Government of Alberta, 2021).
- Walking with headphones in or while texting can make you less aware of your surroundings. Distracted walking is dangerous.
- At both marked and unmarked crosswalks, vehicles must yield to pedestrians.
- Working headlights are required of all drivers in order to see pedestrians, cyclists, and wildlife on the road.
- Motorists approaching flashing crosswalk lights should slow to 30 km/h and yield to pedestrians signalling to cross. Look both ways to ensure pedestrians have cleared the crosswalk before proceeding.