Outdoor skaters can get their blades ready as nine outdoor ice rinks, including the surface at Bud Miller Park and the Speedskating Oval are now open.
Helmets are strongly recommended for skaters of all ages.
Recreation planners indicate the outdoor rinks include:
- Bishop Lloyd Middle School, 5524 – 31 Street
- Bud Miller Park Lake, 2902 – 59 Avenue
(Some sections of the skating surface may still be closed. Skaters should only use the designated areas)
- E.S. Laird Middle School, 4808 – 45 Avenue
- Jack Kemp Community School, 3701 – 47 Avenue
- Ken Baker Park, 4713 – 57 Avenue
- Queen Elizabeth School, 5512 – 51 Avenue
- Robertson Park, 5105 – 34 Street
- Servus Sports Centre Outdoor Oval, 5202 – 12 Street
- Winston Churchill Elementary School, 4402 – 27 Street
Lights at Ken Baker Park, Jack Kemp Community School, Robertson Park and E.S. Laird Middle School are on until 10 p.m. every night.
The Speedskating Oval is ready for use, along with the boarded rink in the centre of the oval. Lights are on until 10 p.m. every night. The Den, Speedskating Oval and its inner skating surface are closed to the public weekly on Monday and Thursday for the Border Blades Speed Skating.
Additional dates and times may vary and will be posted accordingly.
Weather permitting, outdoor ice surfaces will remain open daily during the winter. Closed signage will be posted when surfaces are not suitable for use, say city planners.