Lloydminster downtown businesses may now apply for funding for storefront improvements.
Officials say the Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program is “a key step in efforts to revitalize and promote economic growth in the city’s central business district.”
Four funding models have been outlined which businesses can access:
- Level 1: Matching grant of $2,000 – $5,000 for improving storefronts, signage, exterior finishing, sidewalk displays, and urban landscape adjustments.
- Level 2: Administered by Community Futures Lloydminster and Region and the Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program, this level includes a loan up to $25,000 with 25% forgivable through the grant. This funding includes complete exterior improvements.
- Level 3: Temporary relocation or pop-up rental grant of $6,000, available only for businesses impacted by Phase 1 construction of the Central Business District Replacement Program.
- Level 4: Building rehabilitation or demolition grant of $45,000
The city lists the following approved design changes that businesses may include in their upgrades:
- Advertisement -
- accessibility, safety and inclusivity
- permeability and frontages
- awnings and canopy improvements
- building material improvements
- exterior doors and entrances
- lighting Improvements
- seasonal element improvements
- signage improvements (must meet land use bylaw requirements)
The Downtown Façade and Building Improvement Program (Level 2) funding is subject to DARP and Community Futures Lloydminster and Region approval.
More details are available online via the city’s website.