HomeNewsAnother day of more COVID-19 recoveries than new cases in Saskatchewan

Another day of more COVID-19 recoveries than new cases in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan has had another day of more COVID-19 recoveries than new cases over the last 24 hours.

The province is now reporting fifteen recoveries, seven new cases and eight hospitalizations, two of which are in the ICU. There have been 270 cases reported, 158 of which are considered “active.”

In the North Zone, which holds Lloydminster and surrounding areas, there are 22 active cases and 29 recoveries.

To further ease COVID-19’s financial burden on residents, the Saskatchewan Government is creating new programs for small businesses and students.

Business help will be coming from the Saskatchewan Small Business Emergency Payment, a $50 million support for small and medium businesses who have had to close or make significant curtails to business.

The one time grant will be paid based on 15 per cent of a business’ monthly sales revenue, to a maximum of $5,000. The grant is not dedicated to specific cost pressures, but to be eligible businesses must:

• have been fully operational on February 29, 2020
  • have ceased or curtailed operations as a result of the COVID-19 public health order
  • have less than 500 employees
  • commit to reopening business operations following the cancellation of the COVID-19 public health order.

The province will also request the federal government exempt the SSBEP from business income for tax purposes.

The Ministry of Advanced Education will also be bringing in $1.5 Million in Emergency Student Aid.  They say this will help both domestic and international students with limited financial resources and supports whose studies and employment have been interrupted.

These will be judged on a case by case basis. Emergency bursaries for students will be available from April 1, 2020, to September 30, 2020. The aid will then be distributed through their post-secondary within a week to ten days.