â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsStudent wins U of S Chancellor's scholarship

Student wins U of S Chancellor’s scholarship

A Holy Rosary grade-12 student got a surprise on Thursday as staff, family and representatives from the University of Saskatchewan were on hand to let her know she had been awarded $24,000 to start tertiary education this fall.

Jaiva Bajema will be pursuing a bachelor of science degree in kinesiology. The 17-year old accepted all the accolades with warmth and surprise as staff noted her hardwork and dedication. In getting over the shock and rush of nerves, she said her “cheeks hurt a little bit” as the emotion of the news is still sinking in.

Bajema is gleefully anticipating the next chapter of her life in Saskatoon.

“I’m excited for kinesiology because I really like to be active and do school work. So I think that’s a good combo – and I think I’ll learn a lot about the body which can help me with my occupational therapy later.”

Bajema completed her application for the award in December and encourages all students to apply themselves to scholarship opportunities. She volunteers with a school project which fundraises to assist babies and has been active in local synchronized swimming which she wrote about in her scholarship application.

“I am very involved at the Lloydminster pool. That’s what I wrote a lot about in my scholarship application. I coach. I swam for 10-years as a synchronized swimmer and I went to nationals last year. After nationals I stopped synchro and took up speed swimming.”

Bajema is seen as a great candidate for continuing scholarships, say U of S student recruitment staff.