â–º Listen Live

HomeNewsKindness Wins launched in Lloydminster

Kindness Wins launched in Lloydminster

Students in schools across the Border City will be championing good deeds as the Kindness Wins initiative rolls out for 2023.

While nationally, Pink Shirt Day will be on Feb. 22, due to the school timetable in Saskatchewan, students and supporters will wear the bright colours on Feb. 15 to bring support to anti-bullying efforts.

The Lloydminster Co-operative is once again selling a range of t-shirts with artistic designs by local creative Brandi Hofer. The artist shares that her designs tackle the issues of inclusion, especially as issues related to bullying are also as a result of racism.

“It is wrong and it is bullying. We have the rainbow on here, and a fingerprint. So the rainbow represents acceptance of everyone and that you and I are both here in this world together for a reason. We were both meant to be here and it took a lot for us to get here.”

She adds the design symbolizes building blocks as a firm foundation in the community.

Proceeds from the effort will support the work in schools of Beyond Borders Circle of Change. Riley Gilroyed with BBCC explains that students apply for grants to foster programs to make a better school life and alleviate forms of exclusion.

“I think racism, as well as sexism, transphobia – any forms of marginalization; I think they are taken into consideration by students. We have a very diverse student population, so we are always open to those opportunities where students that are either immigrated or students that are of a minority status – we always encourage that diversity in our funding.”

One of the wins last year was the hosting of a two-day trauma counseling for healing and resilience course that Lloydminster Co-op and partners helped fund. Some 100 local professionals attended the sessions.

Emelie Currie, marketing coordinator with Lloydminster and District Cooperative is encouraging further community support as she underscores that kindness matters. Additionally, RCMP officers will be in the community to award tickets for acts of kindness.

Currie explains that Beyond Borders Circle of Change administers the grants in schools.

“They’re administered through the schools themselves. It’s about $200 and they go to people who have shown initiative in the schools of kindness – and gone out of their way to show kindness in some form of fashion. And then they have turned around and used some of that money – some of them have given it back to the Men’s Shelter. They have made cookies for seniors’ homes.”

Apart from the grants, the fundraising will also support the Kindness is Power (KIP) team training sessions offered to grade 5 and grade 8 across both school divisions.

Two more community events will also be on the Kindness Wins calendar:

• Spiro’s Restaurant is doing a heart-shaped pizza with $2.50 being donated from each pizza sold in
    February
  • Lloydminster Jr A Bobcats will host PINK IN THE RINK at the Centennial Civic Centre on Tuesday,
    Feb. 28. Admission is free if fans wear pink in celebration of Pink Shirt Day.

Residents may get their t-shirts at Lloydminster Cooperative locations.

Officials add that since 2011, over $37,000 have been raised in support of local anti-bullying efforts.