Listen Live

HomeNewsCity issues public notice on rail crossing complaints

City issues public notice on rail crossing complaints

According to a news release, the municipal government wants to remind residents of the Border City that it is not responsible for regulating rail crossings in Lloydminster.

The release states all crossings within the city are operated by Canadian National Railway or Canadian Pacific Rail, which are regulated by Transport Canada, the federal transportation authority. The municipal government, as well as the two provincial governments, do not hold responsibility over the crossings.

“Federal grade crossings regulations state that railway companies cannot conduct regular railway operations or leave railway equipment blocking a public grade crossing for more than five minutes when drivers and pedestrians are waiting to cross, unless the railway equipment is continually moving in one direction,” reads the statement.

“When emergency vehicles need to pass through, railway companies must take all measures to immediately clear the crossing.”

- Advertisement -

If residents wish to report their concerns about railway crossings in the community, they are asked to contact Transport Canada at 1-613-998-2985 or toll-free at 1-844-897-7245. Reports can also be sent in via e-mail to [email protected].

The release also says problems with crossing lights, crossing arms or other issues affecting safety should be reported directly to CN at 1-800-465-9239 or CPR at 1-800-795-7851.The Rail Safety Directorate is responsible for the development and enforcement of regulations, rules, standards and procedures governing safe railway operations in Canada under the Railway Safety Act.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading